Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Chicago’s History Museum


I really enjoyed our last day of class and thought it was a very appropriate ending point. It was cool how interactive it was, which made it more interesting to learn about. Everything in that museum showed us what took place in our city, how cool! We didn’t get as much time in this museum as other places considering this was one of the more interesting ones and had a lot to offer. One of my favorite exhibits was the section for kids to have more hands on experiences (when my son gets a little older, I will definitely be bringing him!) and there was a video that was playing that was particularly interesting to me, which involved actual residents of Chicago and their stories of where they live and are from; those sometimes can be the most informative when it gets real people involved. The “out in Chicago” exhibit was also a pretty interesting museum and would open the eyes of a lot of people and maybe even end prejudices against gays and lesbians, which would in turn bring together a more community feel within the city.
This class showed me how to look further than just being a tourist when taking trips to the city. I was taught many different ways to use our city than just going to the beach or visiting magnificent mile every time I am down there. There is so much more to experience and so much history in Chicago that since I have gotten a head start will be sure to take advantage of! I am glad I was able to be apart of this class and I really did learn a lot about the city that I love and live so close to. It was amazing to me how much I truly did not know or places I did not even know existed and realized that is something that needs to change in order for more people to really have a sense of appreciation for the history of the city they live in. There is so much more than just entertainment opportunities to take advantage of. A topic that would have been personally interesting to me to have discussed more in depth or at all for that matter would have been religion in the city of Chicago.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with this post. Its crazy how we live so close to the city or are residents and fail to take advantage of what is in front of us. I also didn't know many of the places we visited and it opened my eyes to how stubborn I have been to other opportunities. Instead, I think I have seen everything in the city. However, it is always changing and offering new experiences. I think the one thing I never realized is the designs on buildings. If you ever take the time to stop and look at the designs on many of the tall buildings its a beautiful sight! :)

    ReplyDelete